Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Little People

So I don't know whether you've noticed yet but I'm one of those people that gets approached all the time. On buses old folks talk to me and pinch my cheeks, on the street men follow me and in parks children are constantly nudging me to play with them.

My housemate is the same. She too is constantly being given free food in the shuk or being told somebody's life story while in queue at the bank.

Now, I know that we are both total babes and who wouldn't want to talk to us but I get the feeling that there's something else going here.

The two of us are about 5ft nothing. We are two of the tiniest people within the normal height rage. At bars the average guess is that we are 16 years old.

So it is my guess that people feel comfortable talking to us because we are physically not intimidating at all. We seem very harmless and if anything very inviting (despite the fact that we'd probably prefer to be left alone).

In particular I think this applies the men who approach us. Gross men who irritate young women in public, apart from maybe looking to get lucky, are more likely looking to feel powerful. They are generally blokes whose lives are not going so well. They probably don't have much education or wealth or skillz with the ladies. Accordingly chatting up or accosting some 50kg chick is going to make u feel in control and strong and masculine. Well it's nice to know that I can help.

But to the sleazy men of Israel I say "FUCK OFF!"

p.s. get ready for a new date with a new boy folks

No comments: