Monday, January 9, 2012

Sunday the 8th Part II

So where were we?


Still in princess town. Sunday morning the first day of 2012. I got up early, obviously, and went with yuzhong and a local tour guide mathew to the town distillery. In order to get there we had to walk through the village o the river. Then take a canoe across the river o the jungle. Then walk through the jungle for an hour. Then we arrived a the tiny makeshift distillery where they take dead palm trees and 'tap' them by cutting at the trunk to extract all the sap/juice. This is then left to ferment. Then they boil it to distil it into local gin. It was pretty strong stuff. The local name means 'don't fear your mother-in-law' - hilarious. We were given some of the palm juice straight from the trunk. It's already a bit fermented in the trunk so maybe 5% alcohol and quite sweet white and frothy. Tasty even though it was served in old petrol canisters. They were cleaned beforehand. Maybe.


We returned to the fort to have breakfast made for us by joseph. Eggs, toast, tea and banana pancakes again. Joy. I then changed into bathers, grabbed a book and a towel and went down to the beach where I napped, read and swam for the rest of the day. Heaven. That night Joseph made us yam chips with spicy tomato sauce for dinner. I went to sleep super satisfied because I'd spent the day on a deserted beach in africa. It was wonderful.


Monday morning we go up early, I went for another walk along the beach. Packed. Had breakfast the same as the day before, paid joseph and then got on a tro tro to agona. From agona we took one to takoradi and from there another one to cape coast. About 5 hours travelling. On the way I listened to some more great shiurim from mechon hadar and some philosophy lectures. Spinoza was pretty awesome. We arrived safely in cape coast and were taken by a local Aiesecer called primped to the aiesec house in at the university of cape coast. We me the other interns a the house. A boy called Pedro from brazil and two guys from the ivory coast one called Gabriel and the other errr, I forget. Prempeh's German girlfriend Liana was also at the house. We got changed and went to a party. It was a massive beach party. Technically an azzonto beach party which is this new dance craze in Ghana. We arrived at the party and it was seriously full of people. Packed. We went swimming as the sun was setting then headed up the hill where the DJs were blasting Ghana party music. I danced as best I could, I even got some of the local girls to teach me to dance azzonto, not that I was any good at it. A fight broke out so we moved to another area. Obviously we (myself, yuzhong and liana) received a lot of attention as the only white (well, non-African) girls at the party. Which I didn't really mind since African boys are amazing dancers. And compared with Israeli men they really aren't pushy or aggressive so it was a great nigh of fun and dancing. But not much drinking since Africans don't drink much.


We returned home. Shmoozed on the balcony for a while, showered and went to bed.


As for myself. It's now late(ish) and I'm gonna go to sleep. Tomorrow (Monday) I'm going to a small village in the eastern region of Ghana to teach in a school for a week. I'll be back on Friday. But i probably won't have internet while I'm there. I may have phone reception, but who knows. I probably won' have running water in the house or a fridge. But hopefully electricity. Fingers crossed.


G'nite

No comments: