Saturday, December 17, 2011

Shabz the 17th

Friday and shabz...?


Well, since you asked.


Friday was probably one of the most frustrating days of my life. Most of my day was spent waiting. I have to learn that in Ghana when they say 10, they really mean 11.30. and when they say meet you at 12 they really mean 2pm. And when they say I'll be there in a minute they mean go find a chair, it's gonna be a while.

So I had 3 meetings set up for Friday. Only one of them happened. The others I waited and waited and waited and then it was almost shabbat so I couldn't wait anymore. Obviously my pre shabz preparations involved me running through the forest against. This week I even missed candle lighting. Oh well. But I'm finding davening kabbalat by myself (surrounded by chickens and goats) as being a really refreshing experience.


I'll tell you something else refreshing about Ghana. People are very religious and not cynical. So when I tell them I have to leave to get home for the Sabbath they respect that. When I tell them that Shalom Aleichem before we eat is about welcoming the angels, they take it seriously. No eye-rolling, no cynicism. It's easier and more comfortable. Less conflicted between my religious self and my rational self.


Today was spent reading my book about African history and napping. I ate some fruit and watched the boys play soccer.


Much of my day was also spent talking to them about love. Who knows why but they seemed obsessed with it, very romantic boys. They keep falling in love with interns coming from overseas. One is dating a Swedish girl, another an Australian, another an Indian, another a Ugandan. It's interesting, I feel like long-distance relationships are a rite of passage for our generation. We're so mobile and communication is so easy, skype, email, facebook. It's easy to get yourself into a cross continental relationship. But what's the end point? When you're still in uni? When you live in the 3rd world? When you come from different cultures and socio-economic backgrounds? Meanwhile it seems to me that every girl who comes here leaves with a Ghanaian boyfriend. And I can see the appeal. These are very intelligent, thoughtful and even progressive boys. Not to mention good looking. Definitely more attractive than the average Jew-boy. But I just don't know where the boys with their girlfriends overseas think this is going. But maybe it's their way out? But maybe they don't want to leave?


But it's also nice to hear boys talk so much about love. No cynicism. Refreshing.

No comments: