Monday, December 12, 2011

Friday the 9th

Today I went to the university campus. I was taken by Emmanuel to the library and he went off to study. I went in and had a look around. Then I went out on to the lawns and tried to read. But instead I had a bit of a cry. It's becoming a hobby of mine. Luckily Emmanuel had sent two Aiesec boys to come and show me around. They came and took me to the university auditorium. There we sat for a while since it is cool and we discussed politics mainly.


After that we walked a bit. We walked one of the boys to his dorm and then the other one called Mauwsi (mousy) helped me out with a plan of mine. You see, I want a school uniform. So he took her to the local secondary school whose uniform I covet. We spoke to the school principle and then went to the store room that seels textbooks and uniforms. Unfortunately they didn't have any available but I was given the name and number of the seamstress who makes them.


After that I walked Mauwsi to his dorm and I went to the Law library. I was helped by a great librarian called Farkis (maybe? It means Friday). I was given a copy of the Ghanaian constitution (1992) and the criminal law text book. The constitution is great. In some ways it's very similar to the Australian one but with the addition of a section of right. Such as the right to vote, the right to dignity and liberty. There are women's rights such as the right to paid maternity leave and healthcare. Also the rights of the disabled. The right to be free from discrimination based of gender, religion, skin colour etc. But not based on sexual orientation. The authority of the chief is enshrined in the constitution. They have their own house of government (like the house of lords) and court. Interesting. In the criminal law textbook it spoke of witchcraft and it's relationship to murder as to whether one can be accused and found guilty for murder by witchcraft in the Ghanaian courts. Surprisingly the answer is unclear. If it passes all the tests under the common law system including the causation test according to the trial judge then yes they could be found guilty. Apparently it's easier than you expect because the witches often admit to their own guilt and explain how they did it. Interesting I think.


Then I walked back to Teck Junction. Bought a papaya for desert tonight and bread for challah and I caught a trou trou back home. And so now I'm off to prepare for shabz.

No comments: