Monday, December 5, 2011

Africa

Hello all,

I'm back!

I've decided to return to this blog for the next little while in order to document my travels/escapades while in Ghana.

So to fill you in.

I have an 8 week internship with the young entrepreneurs project via AIESEC KNUST in Kumasi Ghana. I will be helping young people and women establish and develop their small businesses. It's a great way to help the developing world because it's not charity, the benefactors aren't constantly dependent on your contribution rather they become self-reliant and it builds up the economy of the region.

After that I'm going to stay with the local Jewish community to teach Hebrew and Jewish studies for 2 weeks. Around this time my BFF is joining me in Ghana and we'll do some adventuring. Yay!

For the moment however I still haven't even reached my final destination. I flew 14 hours from Sydney to Jo'burg. There I had a mad rush to clear customs and collect my luggage and then re-check it and pass through customs again. But I made my connecting flight for another 6 hours in the air to Accra.

If it interests you I saw the following movies: Bridesmaids, Crazy Stupid Love and Tabloid. Tabloid was a documentary and it was by far much better than the other 2 movies.

I had very average kosher meals the whole way and middle seats. Grrr. Having said that South African airways were super new and nice. V.impressed.

So I landed at 9.45pm in Accra and was met by an Aiesec representative and taken to the organisation's house in Accra to spend the night. On the drive I was pretty over-whelmed by how 3rd world this place actually is. I mean it's not terrible but just sometimes there are roads and other times there isn't. Also twice we were stopped by police road blocks. Not sure why though.

The house itself was a bit of a shock. Moldy uncovered mattresses in corners and no shower. Just buckets and a tap.

But there's internet and all the residents of the house were friendly, we all sat on one mattress and checked facebook. Thank goodness for the internet. One of the girls was from the Ivory Coast. I was pretty impressed. Also, she has amazing hair. We watched Richie Rich on one of the girl's laptops and then off to bed.

It was a hot and sweaty night. It's about 32 degrees constantly here with very high humidity. I was woken by a rooster. At 6 in the morning. Seriously.

Today I have to exchange money, get a sim card and then take a bus for 4-5 hours to Kumasi.

How am I feeling?

Not great. Pretty disconnected. Quite alone from people who love me. I'm also feeling super unsettled. And I hate that. I've been travelling for days now and I'm still not home. So basically Ithink that I'll feel better once I'm in my new house in Kumasi. I'm also excited to try Ghanan food and to make new friends and to find out what exactly I'll be doing. Oh and to make a difference.

Also, I can't wait to visit the Jewish Community. I think I'll feel a lot more at home there.

And so it all begins.

I hope that you come along for the ride.

No comments: