Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Catch Up

I will now endevour to catch you up on my life. There's been two shabbatot that I did not blog about but probably should.

The first was my shabbat away with my beit midrash, a program called hevruta. I've mentioned it before. So if you haven't been keeping track then I recommend that you trawl through my previous posts. It will be an educational and entertaining experience.

It was a lovely shabbat in Kibbutz Snir. It included a poiyke at like midnight. Which is cool, my only wish that we didn't sing Israeli pop songs from the 90s, since I was not a child in Israel at that time. On Friday there was a super fun hike which included walking through Druze villages and splashing through streams. Also the weather was beautiful. The shabbat itself was pretty standard; chulent, shiurim, tischim, flirting, etc.

My critique on the shabbat is that the beit midrash has all types of religious people in it. Even non-religious, ideologically secular people in the beit midrash. The shabbat however was totally orthodox. It made the environment less inclusive or pluralist. And being a leftish wanker I really like those things.

My last shabbat I was in Givat Shmuel (ie: Bar Ilan) with my friends who've made aliya. They are all very nice and it was a super pleasant shabbat. Am still happy that I'm not living there for the following reasons

1) wayyyy too many anglos. It's strange to be in shule and nobody speaks Hebrew
2) wayyy too many dosim. As a frummie myself I feel its fair for me to say that religos are dull.

But on a good note we had lunch with Belgians. I learnt the following things about Belgians

1) OMG they are exceedingly good looking - girls and boys alike
2) They speak French but are superior to the French b/c they also speak English and the secret language flemmish.

Lastly am letting you all know that I've started an internship. It's at the Centre for Women's Justice. My first point of work was to send a letter to Rabbi and Ms. Irving and Blu Greenberg (modox nerds should appreciate that).

Other than that my life is busy, I have an assignment due on halachic options for female rabbis and another one on the hakachic attitude towards fetuses. Both due over Purim. Poohead professors.

In that case I better get back to work.

No comments: