Monday, January 10, 2011

Cross-Pollination

Hello all. So I'm currently a little bit distracted from blogging by things like brotherly (and friendly) visits and exams (eek!).

So I'll let you know about something that I've noticed on the streets of Jerusalem recently.

First of all there is a woman who takes my bus who wears a hijab. No biggie except that she's JEWISH! I know this because she davens shacharit on the bus every morning. Honestly, if she's so frum that she wears a hijab you'd think she could wake up the extra half hour earlier to daven at home. But then we wouldn't know she's Jewish... so it's probably on purpose. Additionally however, there are plenty of Jewish hijab wearers around. I've seen a couple in the tachana ha merkazit and at the kotel. Obviously I'm not a fan of this.

Another thing that I've noticed recently, are Arab girls in Jerusalem not wearing hijabs but instead wearing turtlenecks and mitpachot (head-scarves) in the style of married settler women. They do them really nicely, with different coloured scarves and styles. I'm sure it's probably considered scandalous within their communities, because they are adopting foreign culture and fashion. It's probably also considered promiscuous because you can see more skin in this style.

Basically I find these two observations interesting because its strange two see two groups of women who generally do not interact and when they do they tend to express antipathy towards one another yet in some aspects they are really influenced by one another.

Good thing?

Maybe. Maybe not.

No comments: