Friday, July 23, 2010

An Ode To Ariel Sharon


I'm going to Peduel for shabbat. Peduel is in the Shomron, kinda near Ariel. It's a beautiful yishuv* with big houses and great views. It's also super close to Petach Tikva and the Merkaz in general.

The issue is that I'm left wing. I think that there should be a Palestinian state in the West-Bank. This is mainly b/c of that whole triangle choice between land size, Jewish state and democracy. I chose democracy and Jewish for Israel which means that I had to give up on the greater Israel land thing.

Let me explain.

The triangle thing goes like this. if we have the full land size of Israel we then have to chose whether we want Israel to be a Jewish state or a democratic state. Because if we make this whole area democratic there is such a large Palestinian population in the West-Bank and Gaza that demographically Israel would cease to be a Jewish state. The alternative then is that to keep the whole land and not only give the right to vote to Jews. But then Israel would stop being democratic. So in order to keep Israel Jewish and democratic it can't have the full land of Israel.

So technically I think that Peduel may end up being in a Palestinian state. So why am I going there? Well, firstly a pretty good high school friend of mine now lives there. But more generally I don't really have a problem travelling in the West-Bank. It's really beautiful there and as long as I stay out of Nablus and Jericho I should be fine.

Now for all you leftie hipsters that read my blog you may not find these opinions controversial at all. You may be forgetting, however, that I am a religious young lady. And them religious folks aren't ready to give up on Yehuda and Shomron** and the whole redemption and imminent temple rebuilding just yet. But who cares what the religious Neanderthals may think you say? To which I reply that I'm single and that finding a date who is also both religious and left-wing is a tough mission. Particularly in Israel where people are becoming more and more polarized (as per the Gush Katif escapades).

Oh well, when I'm old and alone at least I will have a nobel peace prize to keep me warm at night.

Sigh.


*Settlement
** the West-Bank's biblical names

No comments: