Friday, February 3, 2012

Tuesday the 31st

So the past 3 days have been super wonderful goodness.

Sunday i got up early, and was at the bus station in town by 7am. But meanwhile it took a while for the bus to come and then bad roads meant that i didn't get to my home in kumasi until 11.45am. I spent an hour there, finishing packing, having some porridge and coffee (I LOVE COFFEE) then got on a VIP super lovely bus to accra. I arrived in accra and had to walk with all my luggage to a tro tro park and got a tro tro to madina new road. I arrived at about 9pm. Meaning i'd been travelling for 14 hours that day. There enoch met me and brought me back to the aiesec house. Just like the kumasi house it's totally packed with interns. They had a bunch from china and some from brazil. Also newly arrived that night was a girl called siril from norway. Conveniently she was short and had brown hair so i wasn't totally outshone by a stunning scandinavian. We shared a bed since there weren't enough beds for everybody that night. Siril was going to be an intern in cape coast and was just staying the night in accra on her way. So we had a whole long chat where i imparted all my knowledge about ghana to her. Well, as much as i could while we were lying on a single mattress at midnight both totally exhausted from our long journeys.

Monday was a exceptional. I was so happy the whole day. Accra has fast (by african standards) internet so i caught up on all my internet needs with the wireless in the house. Then i spoke to the boys and sorted out how to get to the various locations that i needed during the day. So by 9am i set off for accra mall. Which is say about the size of malvern central. But it did have a cafe in it. Where i had a latte. My first non-instant coffee fix in a long time. Why i finished my coffee i went to the supermarket in the mall. Even though i'd found a 'supermarket' in kumasi it was really just a glorified 7-11. This was a real supermarket. With a freezer section, a deli, a bakery section, heaps of imported fruits and vegetables. So i bought some pre-cut and washed radishes from Germany and some pre-cut and washed snow peas from Guatemala. I bought some cadburies chocolate, some wasabi peas, some fresh juice (pineapple and ginger) and a tiny sachet of salad dressing with a kosher stamp from south africa. I then used the toilets in the mall (a flushing toilet! So exciting!) and i washed my hands with running water. And then used a handryer! I was in heaven.

I then grabbed a tro tro to the airport to pick up Bracha (my BFF) once there i washed my vegetables with clean drinking water and noshed on them with my little sachet of honey mustard dressing. The first fresh vegetables that i'd had in a long time. I was ecstatic.

But then things got even better when my platonic lover, my bff, arrived and we were reunited. Joy.

She'd packed light ( a girl after my own heart) so we walked to the main road to get a tro tro home instead of having to get a taxi. That also made me happy since a taxi would have cost 15 cedis and a tro tro costs 80 peswas (cents). I took her back to the aiesec house and we sorted out what she was going to take with us and what she was going to leave in the house. Also i took from her the relevant winter clothes that i'm going to take with me to israel. We then put our unneeded bags in a cupboard up high and set out on our epic journey back to sefwi wiaso. We got to the tro tro park and sorted out how to get the bus. It was an overnight bus and it left at 8.30pm.

Along the ride they showed a nigerian film called 'a world apart' about a village girl and an African prince who fall in love with each other. It was basically a shit version of my fair lady. But it was enjoyable b/c of the prince's totally outlandish outfits - ie: a pink furry crown. Seriously.

We arrived in sefwi at 5.15am and grabbed a taxi back home. We napped until 8.30 when we got up and breakfasted. After that i showed Bracha Alex's place, the shule and the construction site of the future guest house for the community. We then went to town and got bracha a kerchief (good for wiping up sweat and keeping hair off the face) and a wallet and sunglasses. We then walked up the hill and used the internet cafe. There we met Alex. We grabbed some beans and cassava and plantain for lunch, went home and ate it. After digesting we went and found bracha a pair of thongs for 1.5 cedies.

We rested in the afternoon, read and kinda almost napped.

From 5 till 6.30 we ran a class in the shule for the kids. We taught a bunch of songs and had a hebrew lesson. The kids were well behaved, quick learners and totally adorable. They ranged from say 5 years old to 13 i guess. So cute.

After dinner (jolof rice and boiled eggs) we had a meeting with Alex about the guest house and how to finish getting it set up and running.

All in all it was a super efficient and productive day. Which is generally the case with my bff. Probz why i love her.

As for tomorrow, morning seder with Alex. Chill in the arvo and then teach the kids in the evening.

As for now - i'm off to have a bucket shower n wash my hair. Then bed. Woot.

g'nite.

No comments: