Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Not Apologising

I am not apologising for not blogging. It's my blog and I'll do what I like.

The past 3 weeks have been exceptionally busy and exciting and interesting.

I had a shabbat in the Upper West Side. It was so over whelming, so many people, but I wouldn't say that it was a very nice area, not so friendly.

I went to Beacon in the Hudson Valley for a Channuka party. That was lovely. My friend Naomi there is super interesting and it was really great to be able to talk to intelligent left-learning people.

I had a big meeting about the Al-Shimari case with a big fancy NY law firm. It was above average cool.

I moved out of my apartment and became homeless (but it will end soon) - I'm currently crashing on my friend's futon.

I went to Toronto to visit family. My family there are Haredi but made me feel super welcome. Their kids are friendly and even their teenage boys stayed up late with me on Friday night playing card games.It was great. Over Christmas I was in Montreal visiting my Great Aunt and Uncle. That was harder than I expected. They have aged very much since I last saw them. They are physically very able but mentally they are no longer really lucid. They don't remember very much of what is going on and so they keep asking the same questions, they get confused, they repeat stories over and over and over. It was heartbreaking. I really love them and it's sad to see that they are deteriorating.

Work has gotten really interesting. I've been reading and indexing the documents from the CIA internal investigation about the Abu Ghraib prisoner abuse to collect evidence about the private military contractors role in the events. I'm drafting a report to the Inter-American Commission on Human Rights about Gender Based Violence in Iraq and Afghanistan under US occupation. I've been researching for an article about first amendment rights to freedom of religion and litigating churches in sex abuse cases. Work has been hard and I work long hours and often what I'm reading is really sad. Saddest because it's all real and true and happening to people all the time. I don't think that it's too traumatic because unlike my work in Israel or Australia I'm not working with clients on a daily basis so I'm rarely (if ever) face to face with the victims of these injustices. On Monday we go to court in Massachusetts for the SMUG case about GLBTI rights in Uganda.

New Years was great. I was at a friend's party who works for the Gay Men's Health Clinic via Avodah. It was full of interesting and attractive young people who like to do good things with their time.

This shabbat I plan on being at the UWS again but this time I'll be going to egalitarian minyanim, which will be a nice change, hopefully I'll meet various interesting people.

Tomorrow I move into my new apartment which I'm looking forward to.

I suppose that's all.

Did you miss me?


No comments: