Thursday, June 28, 2012

The 9 to 5

So what's happened since Wednesday?

Well, Thursday and a bit of Friday that's what.

Thursday was not a bad day.

Kate was doing better with communication and I had a huge giant ton of work to get done, which always makes me happy.

There were some interesting cases too.

We had one woman come in and say that she'd lied in court a few weeks ago about her partner assaulting her and now she wants to revoke her statements. She says he never assaulted her but the police made it up. This is after her partner has been sitting in prison for a couple of weeks. We listen to what she says and then call the police to get a copy of the file and her partners criminal history. Not only are there pictures of her injuries (including bad brusing along her very pregnant belly) but there are two witnesses statements as well. Furthermore, her partner has a 14 page criminal history beginning at age 10 with thefts and burglaries and moving on to aggravated (that means with a weapon) assault by age 13. So we're going to have another appointment with her and try to convince her that it's probably not in her interests to revoke the statements (well, because she might go to prison for lying to the court). But it's generally sad that she wants him back and that she's willing to go to prison herself to get her abuser out of prison.

Another case was of a lesbian aboriginal couple. Very interesting, they'd both been married before and had kids. After those marriages ended they found eachother and started a relationship and moved in together. The problem is that they are both alcoholics and so their relationship is pretty abusive. But it seems from our clients statements that their kids and parents are pretty accepting of their new same-sex relationship. Cool aye?

Lastly, we had a very sad case of a girl who is 17 now but at the time of the assault had been 14, she got compensation from the government (it's a NT thing) and it's sitting in the state trustees' account until she's 18. Her very very very drunk mother came in and tried to access that money for herself. We explained that it's her her daughter and in anycase her daughter can't access it until she's 18. But it seems inevitable that when that money is released it will be drunk away very quickly.

On to less sad topics and more frustrating topics.

The solicitor, my supervisor Kate didn't come into the office today. She didn't call me or text me or email me letting me know. Sure, I had work to do but I've finished it now. She really is the worst communicator. So I'm likely to spend the afternoon watching court proceedings. Which is actually pretty ok with me.

On to less sad or frustrating topics.

I have a happy weekend ahead of me. Tonight I'm having some (very new) friends over for dinner, I'm making lasagna. Tomorrow evening I'm going to a picnic. Sunday I have a BBQ for Territory Day (the day the NT got independance from SA) and hopefully I'll be going camping to the Katherine Gorge for that night.

And then who knows that next week will bring?

I hope you have have a great weekend, shabbat shalom, Ms. B

No comments: