Monday, February 28, 2011

Halachic Cowardice

So I'm wearing jeans right now.

They are tight, skinny, hot jeans.

What a slut.

The only thing is that I'm at home alone. Nobody can see me. Just like nobody has seen me in jeans for at least 4 years now.

That's because I'm a skirt wearer. That special breed of orthodox girl who bent over for patriarchy and wears a tube of fabric around her legs to remind the world that she's not a man.

Look, I know that I can wear pants. I know that there's no source requiring me to wear skirts. I could even wear my ass-tight jeans and it wouldn't be a problem b/c none of the sources even talk about tightness of clothing. All they talk about it skin that needs to be covered. Not how it needs to be covered.

But alas, I am a halachic coward. Orthodox girls wear skirts and so I wear skirts. I wouldn't want to rock to boat.

Sadly this applies in other areas as well.

I learnt how to laiyn, but I never have in public.

I reckon I'd make an ok Rabbi, but I have no intention of going for smicha.

I only eat cheese that's on the kosher list.

I won't eat in a vegan restaurant without a hechsher.

Basically I'm a total wimp and coward. Even though I know that all these things are ok halachically I still don't do them.

What a wuss.

No comments: